Car accidents happen multiple times per day in Alabama. In 2017, a car crash was reported every 200 seconds. Some accidents are just minor fender benders, and no one gets hurt. Other times, one or more people suffer injuries. In fact, someone was injured in a road accident every 11 minutes in 2017. When road users get hurt, the injured parties file claims with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Sometimes they receive compensation without any challenges. However, there are circumstances in which car accident victims don’t recover their losses unless they hire an attorney. If you were involved in an accident which resulted in property damage or injuries, you may be wondering if you need a Montgomery, Alabama auto accident lawyer.
Ideally, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident if:
- You suffered severe injuries
- The other driver is blaming you for the crash
- The crash involved multiple parties
- The police report contains inaccuracies
Most Alabama auto accident lawyers offer one free consultation so you can get some initial advice without spending a dime. Even if you aren’t sure you need a lawyer, it doesn’t cost you anything to set up a consultation.
Generally, an attorney can help you get compensation if someone else’s negligence caused your injury and:
- You had to go to the hospital or emergency room, or you needed multiple doctor’s visits.
- You received high medical bills, were unable to work or suffered a permanent disability
- You have evidence that someone else was at fault
If anyone of these scenarios is true, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. However, you need to move quickly because of the statute of limitations.
What is the Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims?
In Alabama, you have two years to file a claim after the date you suffered injuries. The statute of limitations is in place to ensure that defendants don’t have a case hanging over their heads indefinitely. It also ensures that victims start the process of gaining compensation in a timely manner. As time passes, memories fade and evidence is no longer acessible.
If more than two years have passed since the date of the accident, you won’t be able to file a claim. Exceptions can be made to this rule, but they are rare. If you contact an Alabama car accident lawyer immediately after the accident, they will ensure you meet all the deadlines.
Why You Need to Call a Lawyer Right After Your Accident
In addition to ensuring you file your claim before time runs out, there are other advantages to contacting a lawyer quickly. Your lawyer can help with several tasks including:
- Correcting an inaccurate police report. Sometimes the police report doesn’t match what you recall. If the report includes inaccuracies, especially errors which deem you responsible for the accident, this needs to be corrected. Your attorney can help you to prove that you weren’t at fault so the records can be corrected.
- Communicating with insurance companies. The at-fault party’s insurance company is likely to contact you soon after the crash. They will try to pressure you into accepting a low settlement. They may also trick you into saying something self-incriminating. You shouldn’t talk to an insurance adjuster without first speaking to your attorney. If you do so, you may end up agreeing or admitting to something with jeopardizes your chances of getting compensation. Having an attorney on your side can result in a faster, fairer settlement.
- Determining what your case is truly worth. If you’re going up against a government entity or a big business with powerful lawyers, you can easily be pressured. They may offer you a settlement that doesn’t even scratch the surface of your losses. If you don’t have an attorney fighting for you, you may accept the offer just to get the case over with. Knowing what your case is worth helps you to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact The Vance Law Firm Today to Discuss Your Alabama Auto Accident Case
If you suffered injuries in an Alabama auto accident, call us and schedule a consultation. You have nothing to lose by seeking professional advice. If we believe you have a case, we’ll do everything we can to help you get compensation. Car accident injuries can result in high medical bills and a lengthy recovery period during which you can’t work. The pain and financial difficulties can be overwhelming. Luckily, competent lawyers can help to relieve some of the burdens accident victims face. Contact our experienced team of Alabama accident injury lawyers for representation today.