Uber became available all across Alabama on July 1, 2018, after being available only in some cities. This means more and more drivers will be picking up and dropping off passengers all across the state. This makes it more likely that you will get into an accident with an Uber driver. You may assume that these drivers work for Uber and the company will compensate you for injuries or property damage. However, it’s not that simple and it can be difficult to get compensation. If you get into an accident with an Uber driver, you need to contact an attorney.
What Vehicular Accident Attorneys Know About Uber Accidents
Uber drivers are independent contractors and not employees of Uber. They are required to have third-party insurance which covers property damage and physical injuries. In Alabama, all drivers are required to have at least:
- $25,000 property damage liability
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury liability for all persons per accident
Uber also has a much-touted $1 million insurance policy. However, it only applies if the driver logged into the Uber app and carrying a passenger. Between rides, drivers are covered for bodily injury up to $50,000 per individual per accident. This is up to a maximum of $100,000 per accident and up to $25,000 for property damage. However, it can be difficult for accident victims to recover their costs. Uber will do its best to deny liability.
If the driver is not logged into the app, they are only covered by personal insurance. You will have to file a claim with the driver’s insurance company to get compensation for injuries or vehicle damage. If the driver is uninsured or underinsured, you could face a significant challenge in recovering damages. It’s highly unlikely they will be able to pay you out of pocket.
How an Alabama Accident Lawyer Can Help You After an Uber Accident
Uber accidents can be tricky because of the insurance gap mentioned above. However, it’s possible to get compensation. You need an attorney who knows the law and who is willing to fight on your behalf. It could be a lengthy process, so you need someone committed to the task. However, in the aftermath of the accident, you should act in the same way you would after any other accident.
- Contact the police. The police report can play an integral role in your claim. When the police go to the accident scene, they will take statements from you, the Uber driver and any eyewitnesses. They will also record details of what they see and compile the information into a report. When you file your insurance claim or a lawsuit, you will need the report to support your claims.
- Gather evidence from the accident scene. As long as you are physically able, take out your phone and document the accident scene. Take photos and videos showing the damage to your vehicle, the road conditions and any injuries you sustained. You should also ensure you get insurance information from the Uber driver.
- Go to the doctor. Even if you don’t think your injuries are serious, go to the doctor as soon as possible anyway. You will need a medical report if you want to seek compensation for your injuries. Sometimes when your adrenalin is rushing, you don’t feel pain and your symptoms may not show up immediately. However, if you go to the doctor, they may be able to recognize early signs of injury. If you take too long to get medical attention, the insurance company will suggest you were injured elsewhere. They may even accuse you of faking your injuries.
- Hire an Uber accident attorney. If your injuries are significant or the damage to your vehicle is extensive, you should get sound legal representation. Since you may have a lengthy legal battle ahead of you, you want all the support you can get. Negotiations with insurance companies are often difficult. When you’re facing a big company like Uber, you can be sure they will have a team of attorneys on their side. This is not something you want to handle on your own, especially when you’re recovering from injuries.
Contact an Attorney at the Vance Law Firm Following Your Uber Accident
Let an Alabama Uber accident lawyer at the Vance Law Firm handle your case. While Uber is relatively new to the state, we have lots of experience in dealing with insurance companies and big corporations. We know all the tactics they use to try to get out of paying damages. Contact us today and we will put our negotiation skills to use on your behalf. If you need to file a lawsuit, we will be by your side every step of the way. Call us to schedule your consultation.